Enrich your artistic spirit this winter and spring. Learn a new skill. Refine an existing ability. Be inspired by the natural beauty and cultural heritage of Durango and Santa Fe.
Sorrel Sky Gallery presents its 7th annual Workshop Series. From January through May 2018, the gallery will host 1, 2 and 3-day workshops at 828 Main Ave, Durango, Colorado, and at 125 W. Palace Ave, Santa Fe, New Mexico. Featuring painting, basketry, and sculpture, each artist will share their knowledge, their skills, and their inspiration. Visit our website www.SorrelSky.com for more detailed descriptions and registration information. Register now. Or give as a gift.
- Horsehair Basket Weaving with Jane Chavez, January 13 - Santa FeThis workshop will provide insight into the foundation of basket weaving, as well as its intricate and historic nature. This class is for beginners to intermediate.
- Wildlife Painting with Edward Aldrich, January 26-28 - DurangoLearn how to express all the elements that go into making an oil painting with the emphasis on wildlife as the subject. This class is for beginners to intermediate.
- Plein Air Painting in the Winter with Sharon Abshagen, February 9-11 - DurangoBrush strokes and palette knife techniques will be emphasized during the workshop, taking the painting to the next level. This class is for beginners to intermediate.
- Introduction to Sculpture with Michael Henington, February 17&18 - Santa FeBe energized by the creative process itself. Students will be encouraged to create a style uniquely their own. This class is for beginners.
- Painting in the Winter Landscape with Peggy Immel, February 23-25 - Santa FeThis 3-day workshop will focus on the unique aspects of painting the winter landscape, winter’s influence on light, values, color and atmospheric perspective. This class is open to artists of all ability levels.
- Landscape Painting with Stephen Day, March 9-11 - DurangoCapture the feeling and mood of the subject and the constant state of change that is seen in nature and in ourselves. This class is for beginners to intermediate.
- Elements of Landscape Painting with Peggy Immel, March 23-25 - DurangoThis 3-day workshop will cover subject choice, composition, values, color and light, linear and atmospheric perspective, edges and paint quality. This class is for beginners to intermediate.
- Painting and Mixed Media with BJ Briner, March 24&25 - Santa FeFor students who are willing to push their energy into form, style, mannerisms, techniques, and investigations. A cross-pollination of painting and collaging. This class is for beginners to intermediate.
- Pine Needle Basket Weaving with Mimi Bonkowske, April 28&29 - DurangoLearn the ancient art of basketry and how to use the gifts that the earth provides to “make beautiful, wonderful and useful things.” Workshop includes supplies, instruction book, and is for beginners.
- Architecture in the Landscape with Stephanie Hartshorn, May 4-6 - Santa FeLearn to enjoy the experience of weaving an image together, using the dynamic lines and curves seen in the manmade world as they intersect with the environment. This class is for beginners to intermediate.
Gallery owner Shanan Campbell Wells looks forward to the energy the workshop series brings to the gallery each year. “The galleries take on a different dynamic during the workshop weekends. Watching artists with years of experience share their knowledge, seeing students of all skill levels learning new techniques … it never fails to inspire me.”
Sorrel Sky Gallery’s visionary approach to Western art allows both new and experienced art enthusiasts the opportunity to select from a distinctive collection of contemporary and traditional fine art and jewelry. Founded in Durango, CO in 2002, Sorrel Sky Gallery opened its second location in Santa Fe, NM in 2014. Representing several acclaimed and renowned painters, sculptors and jewelers, including Kevin Red Star, Star Liana York, and former U.S. Senator Ben Nighthorse, among others.